The CT RollerGirls are proud to offer the Cindy Luberto Scholarship for Women Athletes!
Established in 2012, this scholarship recognizes a dedicated and enthusiastic Connecticut woman athlete who has a passion for her sport, whatever it may be.
“Many of our skaters did not consider themselves athletes before finding roller derby, while others have a long history of participating and succeeding in sports. We think it is important to celebrate all types of athletes who embrace their passion for their sport, regardless of whether they are the star of a competitive team or a participant in less structured recreational or intramural sports,” says Kathleen Ebner, who skates under the name Ebolution, a player for CTRG’s Yankee Brutals and Physical Education and Health teacher at Woodland Regional High School.
The recipient is selected based on a short, 250-word essay describing her passion for the sport that she plays, with emphasis on how her sport or her participation is unique. Each applicant is also asked to provide a photo of herself in action or representing her sport.
“Being passionate about an activity can change a person’s life. Our skaters have found something special in roller derby, and we want to celebrate that spirit with this scholarship,” says Alison Faruolo (Babe Vigoda), blocker for the Yankee Brutals. “The award is named for Cindy Luberto, the late sister of one of our league’s most positive and supportive former members, Jill Luberto (Paula G. ImNaughty).”
Read about the 2013 scholarship recipient!
Read about the 2012 scholarship recipient!
2014 Scholarship information
The CT RollerGirls will be accepting applications for the Cindy Luberto Scholarship, a $500 non-renewable scholarship intended to benefit a woman athlete in recreational, community, or school athletics.
- be a woman-identified student athlete, participating in recreational, community, or school athletics
- be attending a Connecticut college or university in the Fall of 2014, or be a Connecticut resident attending any college or university in the Fall of 2014
- provide a 250-word essay describing her passion for the sport that she plays, with emphasis on how her sport or her participation is unique
- provide a photograph of herself in action or representing her sport
- agree to allow CT RollerGirls, Inc. to use submitted information and photograph in promotional materials
- complete and submit the application and recommendation by June 30th, 2014
For additional information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past or current members of CTRG or the immediate family of any current CTRG member are ineligible.
Winner will be notified around August 1, 2014 and be invited to be recognized at a future CTRG home bout.
Or applicants may also download and print a copy of the application and submit by email attachment to email@example.com or by mail to CT RollerGirls Scholarship, PO Box 1774, Naugatuck CT 06770. Online application is preferred.
Deadline: June 30, 2014
If you would like to help us continue to provide this unique opportunity to recognize passionate women athletes in our communities, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to donate to support the CT RollerGirls Scholarship for Women Athletes!